Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Disgruntled Moos

Life often takes a strange twist, I'd say. Was reading the sunday papers on how Margaret Chan, former food critic, and dabbler of the arts as a stage actress (and also a brief and forgettable role as a cockroach-crussssshing matriach in a very forgettable tv series) is now a professor of media studies at SMU. Somehow she managed to work her way through a PhD. Wah. Even more astonishing is brief statement in the article which states her offspring Cara is now a lawyer in Tokyo. Blokes n blazes! Now how did that happen?! Cara was a schoolmate of mine since primary school, and she was well remembered as one of the most academically dis-inclined student who always performed poorly in her studies. She's fail several subjects or be borderline at most. Best of all, she's ditsy like an airhead. However no one will argue when one says she is an extremely pretty girl even at a young age. Pretty does not describe her, she is really quite stunning. But an airhead nonetheless. I vaguely remember she moved to England to study after Pre-U. Maybe it did her some good. A lawyer indeed. Brings to mind Reese Witherspoon in Legallyl Blonde. Maybe she's that kind of lawyer.

Which brings to mind another startling revelation. Another classmate of mine from Sec school - school bully, well known toublemaker, rumbunctious tomboy and fearlessly ill-disciplined student who is every teacher's headache at school. Now a crime journalist with Straits Times. Even won the most outstanding young journalist of the year award some 2 yrs ago. Tanya Fong. Saw a pic of her once in the papers, she's actually wearing a damn skirt and has make up on. Un-effing-believable. Her English scores were quite the pits then, not because she couldn't manage the language, but she's plain and purely lazy. Somehow things have changed since she went to Australia for further studies. I guess, the overseas experience does do all these girls some good; and it's true what they say about the overseas acadamia being more forgiving, and more encouraging of the creativity and innovative side. The Spore system doesn't bring out the best in some of them.

Here I am - bright, hardworking individual cultivated and groomed under the local school system. And where am I? No outstanding award for anything, no cushy job in Tokyo. Not even moderately successful in career, considering I am some 3 years behind my original goals and objectives. Even the despised ex-bf who was a truant-playing student at poly is now working on his PhD. Poly girlfriends look more glamourous and dolled up than me. I'm really falling behind. I've achieved Auntie-stardom. Probably the only thing I can show off are my Tod's. They must be my most famed possessions. Ha ha.

To give my already low self-esteem a further blow, a recent strange conversation with C about the last meal before dying, I professed a wish to have something he cooked (if we were still together of course). That was flat out rejected, because he was certain I would turn my nose up and complain about how the meal was prepared. Ok ok so I do whine a lot, but hey, it's my DYING wish. I mean, it's grin-n-bear-it-geddit-over-n-done-with, and then, eternal freedom for him. Cannot even tahan ah? C said if it's just a normal ordinary girl he wouldn't mind, but since it's me, he wouldn't, because I would whine about the meal so much I would depart a disgruntled soul and haunt him forever. Sigh. I don't even measure up to some unknown stranger.

Someone just bury me next to Bis and Holly please.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! THATS QUITE A DAY YOU HAD...Seems you lament the fact that less 'deserving' souls have been doing better than you... er... maybe cuz you are WAA waa? .. perhaps you aren't devious enough when it comes to work as you are when you have a tight grip on my er.. nether regions... think out of the box honey... and i bet those gals used the proverbial secret weapon.. SEX appeal!! they charmed their way through interviews etc!.. they PRETEND to be sweet!... they make guys WANT them to squeeze their nether regions..WAIT A MINUITE... all guys want that.. regardless of pain, as long as tis a gal.. (no aunties please).. and better yet, if they are from China (as the weekend article on massage parlor antics is believeable)..!
My point is er... actually, I was a pretty crummy student, kena public caining not once, not twice, but 3x in my PRIMARY 6 year!!... FROM ACS too!!... where my mom and the discipline master were old friends! hows that for a terok student!.. but as you can see, sometimes overseas education teaches you u more than just wrote learning as you can tell from the rest of your classmates.. it is not necessarily EASIER than a local education, but you have to think out of the box and APPLY yourself!... and thats one thing i sense you haven't done.. YOu don't apply yourself!!.. you are a smart cookie (more choc chips than the rest), but you dare not express yourself in class.. maybe you ask more questions than the rest, but have you REALLY pushed yourself? As opposed to me.. you know i LOVE putting a spin on any argument/ debate.. thats how you apply yourself.. with copious amounts of B.S!.. tis fun.. sometimes people think you are an idiot.. but you brain has a good laugh!!

Ahh..your last meal... well, i hope everyone out there knows, its NOT that i don't wanna cook you a meal, but its just that i KNOW you!.. you would be sarcastic and say.. is THAT what you thought i would want?.. or is that ALL i am worth to you?.. i mean, unless I served a dinosaur omlette with Sauteed Tasmanian tiger for mains and the nectar of an extinct man eating plant which i would have to wrestel with my bare hands and cut with a dull butter knife, just to serve you.. or genetically taking years to grow a square Strawberry/ exotic fruit.. you just won't be happy!!! (again, a non physical way to BUST MY BALLS!!)

Oooo...my language.. tsk TSKK... TESTIES!!...

Now about being buried next to bz and holly, you mad or what?!! they woudl fight even in the afterlife!! and you would be trodden upon in their doggie zeal!.. who needs to be buried.. cows are zen, we don't die.. we ...EVOLVE!!! into smarter cookies with more CHOCOLATE CHIPS!!!..

Lysithea said...

PMS? Hey, yoga teaches one to be contented with what one has, don't look at the other person to see how much he/she can do. Relax lah, you got two great dogs, one fantastic cow and many tods bags. :) Cheer up!

Labels