Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Food for Thought

Recently I stumbled onto someone's food blog . It's a really lovely blog and my first reaction was - WAHHHH!!! something after my own heart. The blogger is a very young adult, reading her blog brought back sudden memories of long ago when in my worldismyoyster years I was an avid foodie with a passion for writing and checking out all the newest and "in" restaurants and eateries this tiny island had to offer. It helped that my then-bf had a passion for food and pocket deep enough to cover our regular food jaunts around the island. Of course, in the course of our relationship he put on 20kg thanks to my passion for eating.

Passion for food is also what brought YP and I together some 6yrs ago. We were both contributors to a now defunct online food review site, and have been good friends ever since. Of course now, things have changed, with YP being engrossed with the 2 males in her life, if now we eat out together we are either at Lei gardens or Hua Ting. Not very adventurous but it's food for the soul.

Reading joone's blog awakened a latent memory that I was one a passionate foodie. I still love food, and I love to cook - culinary skills have improved tremendously over the last 4yrs thanks to a keen interest in feeding my dear beef tartare. What is startling is coming to terms to the fact is I now prefer simpler meals. Pretty sure much of it is because of my yoga practice, over time my body has evolved to only want simple comfort food. Tofu with rice and veggies, or just some steamed fish. Plenty of soup. I'm just happy with that. Most of my yoga teachers and friends who practice seriously find themselves naturallly inclined towards a vegetarian diet as the body starts to reject complex protein and oily foods on its own. My own process has probably started, though at heart I'm still a foodie, I don't think I will ever be a vegetarian completely. I STILL NEED MY FISH!!!

Now.....here's a complicated thought - as a disciple of the cow movement, I'm part cow but cows are supposed to be herbivores!! thus cows = vegetarians. Cows don't eat fish! So...I guess I'm not a cow? Is that why I chant OM instead of Moo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sigh... at least my tummy ain't all my fault!! Raoul is rather chin chye about these things..he eats everything.. so like a cow, perhaps i have 3 stomaches!! i'm sure cows MAY eat fish... i wonder how many cows haev tried!...

So how come you and YP are foodies but dun carry the burden?.. are you guys like slick?.. there is always evidence that he has been eating (stains on his mout), but no TUMMY!!

Ohhh to be young and can eat anything i want and not show it again...

mmm.. all this talk of food is making me hungry... i wonder what we can eat tomorrow!!

mooooooooo!!!gotta fill those 3 tummys!!

Labels