Saturday, May 13, 2006

Diary of an Aging Schoolgirl

After I wolfed down my Ya Kun breakfast (yum yum!), I went to class. Apparently this is a pretty large class of 40 students, and from the name list, some 10 were engineers, and maybe another 10 were in IT. I roll my eyes. The course is on Management Info Systems. YAWN. As the class progressed, it immediately confirmed what I already knew all along - british lecturers are B.o.r.i.n.g. Each module cost me a good Tod's bag, and try as I might to imagine my lecturer as a Tod's bag, he's no subsitute. Not even close. Gimme a Tod's bag anytime. He speaks in MONOtones. Eh, we're talking IT and Info systems right?? So at least give us some Equalizer (ironically, EQ!!) or maybe some surround sound lah. But no, it's one voice in the far off corner with a deadpan face. Alamak.


A quick scan of the classmates confirmed another thing - typical Singaporean students. Hardly anyone spoke up when questions were asked, hardly anyone challenged the lecturer's assumptions and viewpoints. It's just going to be a bunch of sponges soaking up every word the teacher says in verbatim. During the 1st break a bunch of guys cornered the fake Tod's bag and asked about exam outline and past year exam papers and questions. Wahlau, it just reaffirmed the fact that these people don't see much value in an MBA except as a nice piece of paper to have. All they wanna do is just learn by route and pass the exams.


The course is easier than I thought, maybe it's just first day introduction? To my surprise I managed to stay alert and attentive throughout, I didn't even fall asleep after lunch as I thought I would. Which brings me to the other shocking bit of news - I failed to realise that the Starbucks at the HDB hub has given way to a BK joint!!!! I felt the wind knock out of my lungs when I go looking for the coffee counter only to stare blankly at the BK sign. It's been months since BK was there, I've seen it, but I failed to make the connection it's actually occupying the Starbucks space. NOW I REALISE. Wah, brain really not working. What am I gonna do for caffeine??? Ok, maybe will just stick to Ya Kun teh for now.


I decided to head to Popular to get some stationery supplies. WAHHHHH!!!! I didn't know stationery could be so funky these days. And CHEAP!! I got myself a tiny stapler and hole puncher, all small enough to fit into my makeshift pencil case. I didn't even know they make stuff in such small sizes. And the ultimate discovery of the day - they don't make correction FLUID anymore. Apparently the thing is called correction TAPE these days. And boyo, I stood there looking like a goondu not knowing which to choose. There are so many. Ended up with a cutesy one in pink. Refillable of course. My stationery haul cost me a measly $12 and all could fit into my pencil case. Ahem, my pencil POUCH is now fat and happy. And full of fun stuff. No designer brand makes pencil pouches in that size, I'm sure. And frankly, I don't give a damn. My pencil pouch happiness index is 8/10.


Dearest C gave me a most surprising and fun present today. I now have a new lodger in my house named Bitsy. She's definitely part of the cow movement, and Slick's new pet. She's orange with pink prints and apparently, until last night, resided somewhere in Tg Pagar. It took C a couple of hours to pick Bitsy up and specially transport her to my house. Think it shocked a couple of residents and my bro was like, "What the hell?!". Heheh. But I am most pleased and happy, though a smaller Bitsy would be nice and more Wen-sized, but nevermind, it's really sweet. Heheh.

3 comments:

Lysithea said...

Wah lao .. you which century gal? Don't know what is correction tape? It's been around for like ... ten, five years? Duh.

Put up a pic of bitsy!! What's she anyway?

Anonymous said...

YPYP.... you should just think this thing about bitsy through... I nabbed it... so it MUST be damn BIG!!! hee hee.. and quite illegal!!...so go figure....But i do agree with you, shows when was teh last time that gal did any serious studying... correction tape been around for at least 10 yrs... wait till she discovers the nice sticky page labellers.. I LOVE Them!!.. you know the ones from 3m where you can write on the margins... maybe that gal also donno Highlighters come in more colours than yellow...also.. shocking!! they dun sell erasers anymore... the ones with the smell of course..either lotsa kids died of asthema... overdosed.. or some dumb dude actually ate one... but the truth is the correction tape made them obsolete!... as for you No.2.. be a nice person and dun use the red pen anymore.. use lotsa blue!... or dun be racist and use green.. kiddos will like that.. they will go around confused thinking...er.. right or wrong.. WELCOME To the real world kids!! there ain't no right or wrong!!...just as the PAP!!!... it all depends on who is saying it!!.. (and i shall remain anonomyous or a beef dish, in case the right person insists that i am wrong)..

I believe that you dun really have to visit starbucks for caffeine... you have a secret stash in our purse of kit kats and chocs!.. that shold keep you going!.. i used to carry my coke into lectures with a special plastic cap to go over the hole to keep it fresh...cuz you can't OPEN one in the lecture theatre... there is no disguising the pppssshhhhh!! sound... unless you have a preforated anus... hee hee!... i remember bringing in.. mentos... nacho chips.. coke... ICE CREAM....a BURGER...er.... and in my slippers and shorts (in summer)... maybe thats how i got so fat... but classes were fun... only problem is you had to share your loot or the person would dob you in...

So dun forget to be ZEN... cuz the classes will make you either comatose or feel like pullingyour hair out!... in the end, you;l be like me, skip clases, read the lecture notes, pass my fren a tape recorder (in exchange for passing him back the stenographed notes)... and watch your lecturer's face when you turn up for an exam and he has never seen you in class...best part is...i got an A! hee hee...

oh... have you heard any one snore yet??... just dun be teh FIRST!!

Lysithea said...

You mean you stole one of those moos moos on display those they put on the grass?! Wah ... that I must see! Heh

Eh 1, you can go practise your mediation and ujayi breath if you're too bored with the lecturer! Maybe you should be the one asking the questions then you'll be the siao on student. Then your teacher will remember you so during exams when he marks your script he might give you a A* ... or an F. heh.

Labels