Friday, August 04, 2006

Strange encounters

Took the day off today so I could spend time on my revision, as usual the plan was to head down to Pure for a class of zen before comfortably ensconcing myself at the corner sofa. I must say it's a really good study environment, very peaceful and relaxed, and facilities nearby, no lack of food, water nor comfort. I was tracking my revision fairly well, except just before my lunch break a mainland chinese woman and her young child came over to share my space. Strangely enough she laid down on the sofa, and just went to sleep! Her kid must be used to her doing this, for the child didn't seem perturbed and simply just sat at the corner and played with paper. 'Twas quite a strange situation to me, but I carried on with my revision after lunch. Not surprising, the little kid got bored and started to chat with me. I have no liking for kids in general and I don't communicate well with them, but somehow I didn't mind this one because I detected sensibility and keen intelligence behind that lively and gamine face. Kid and I had a nice chat - this child has a chinese vocabulary more powerful than mine, for a 7 year old that's pretty impressive even though they are from China. A very inquisitive mind but very lively intelligence for I only needed to explain things and concept only once before it was instantly understood. Turns out the mother is a Pei-du mother, i.e. she was a businesswoman who left her business to her husband so she could accompany her child to singapore to study. Quite a big sacrifice, and from the looks of it she seemed a decent woman unlike the horror stories we hear about chinese pei-du mothers.

Anyway, after a 2.5hr chat entertaining this bright young child (needless to say it detracted me from my revision quite a bit, not something I preferred), it was only towards the end of the day I found out this child, whom I thought was a boy from the very beginning, is actually a girl! DUH!!! Err, I mean, she's got a haircut like a boy...and at age 7...well they all sound kinda squeaky voiced so how would I know?? And especially when her name is much like a boy's name too. (on a side note, the very bizaare twist to this is when she wrote her name in chinese characters, it's exactly the same name as my ex's......). Beefhotpot suggested perhaps it was my ex reincarnated. Riiiighhhht.

Revision progress is about 2/3 of what I'd originally liked to do, but just as well. I don't think I could absorb anymore and make sense of epistomological, ontological, tautology, sematic and syntactic concepts. Whatever the heck it means. Even C got a little befuddled today because the stuff I had him read were too drought dry. I'm as ready as I am for tomorrow and i'll be glad as soon as it's over. Back to my Pingzong series reruns! YAY!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yup.. that was your first encounter with a pei du ma ma.. she was probably tired from chasing all teh old over 55 mena round and hence needed a yoga to keep her flexable when the demand dick tates... oops i meant dictates...my spelling no good one lah!.. er.. WHO would ever mistake a 7 year old girl for a boy?.. one wonders.. me thinks if the kid has short hair, squeaky voice... small build...hmmm reminds me of somone's old I.c Photo (banished to the depths forever as you have a new one)... hmm who indeed could mistake a girl for a boy!...

anyway, what was the point of studying taht dry stuff.. and yes, even i thought it was laborously tedious....when you just skip the question inthe exam!.. thats what i would do... spot 4 good questions and WING IT!!!... the only reason archi cows are good students is not cuz we grasp concepts fast or read intelligently, its cuz we literally have NO time to study, as our design presentations take teh majority of our time.. i once had to study the entire years phychology exam in one day.. got a B+ for that too! phew...so we study smart!.. we are also more durable, needing onlyl 2hrs sleep a night at times and my record is 72 hrs straight, no sleep at all!!... coke is it!!!

Labels