Sunday, December 21, 2008

It's a Bird, it's a err....


Was picnic-ing at upper seletar when I spotted a white bird perched at the very lush green slopes of the golf course overlooking the reservoir.

Me (to C): Look look! there's a white bird there!
C: yep
Me: It's a...!!
(now, at this point I was about to say PELICAN, but of course considering the recent animal disasters I've had recently I very smartly decide to let my sentence trail off).
C (smirking, and waiting for me to launch into disaster): It's an ibis.
Me (blank look): Ahhh..... (goddamn I truly don't know what an Ibis is. But now at least I know what it looks like).
Me: err, i was about to say Pelican....
C: (sigh). well if you had said heron or stork, you would have come close. But Pelican, that's really quite far from it.
Me: well maybe the pelican migrated, since it must be cold where it was residing...
(note again - if one recognizes my 'animal speech' patterns by now, this is the start of an impending animal disaster).
C: The nearest Pelican is found in Australia! So it flew from oz to sg? That's quite a far distance to travel to warm climate
(not to mention it's Summer in Oz now)...

At this point I decide to smile very sweetly and offer C some food from our picnic basket, before I had a chance to explain that maybe the "pelican" hitched a ride with a Qantas or SQ flight to SG. Or even took a boat.

Some things are just better left unsaid. At least C didn't have a headache this time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

frd, pelican? do you see finding nemo?

Anonymous said...

i was busy entertaining my tummy.. no time for headache... maybe it excaped from the bird park.. but it sure was no PELICAN!!.. it din have a HUGE beak with rubbery jowls!!.... maybe its a marsupial in disguise!!!.... or maybe.. YOUR EYE HAS A RETINA tear so thats why you have been mistaking things!! oooo.....

Labels