Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Motherhood yoga 101

We had a lesson in pre-natal yoga today as part of the teaching module. And *gasp* while I'm accustomed through the years hearing about colleagues talk through their pregnancy, to labour, to maternity, it's quite another (shocking) thing to have to go through a lesson of physical pregnant anatomy. My mental state seemed to have entered permanent retard shock during those 3 hours, hearing how women in class and the teacher describe groin pain, pelvic splits, back pains, tissue tears and other stuff rather as a matter of factly. We even had the privilege of watching a live birth video - no holds barred, full pregnancy from stage 1 of labour till delivery. I mean, if my shocked retard state wasn't enough , I think I was fully distressed and traumatised when watching how the vagina just moved open and the baby's crown slowly birthed through. If that wasn't bad enough, there was the cutting of the umbilical cord to the delivery of the placenta and all the blood gush. Gawd. Even some of the moms in the class were aghast, I guess it's a different view of themselves during delivery...I doubt many have the chance of looking between their legs and watching their babies slowly emerge from the what formerly was a very small space between the legs.

All this talk about hips permanently widening, loose saggy pouchy skin, pigmentation and emotional trauma etc etc...while I'm not a ra-ra motherhood type of person to begin with, think I'm now permanently traumatised by the whole childbearing idea. YP used to complain that pre natal yoga class is boring and doesn't do much, but I think she didn't realise how many of the poses are can complicate birthing and poses are subjected to a mother's stage of pregnancy, position of baby in the tummy etc. At first I thought pre natal yoga must be a walk in the park, now I'm thinking it's the most difficult form of yoga to teach. I'm not letting any pregnant mothers in my yoga class if I have to teach. Gosh I just don't think I can handle it. Gimme monkeys anytime.

1 comment:

Lysithea said...

Haha ... maybe that's why all the pre-natal yoga classes just focus on a lot of breathing and very little poses.

Anyway, things are usually not as bad as it seems if you are ignorant of them. Sometimes, too much information is no good. Anyway, if you really think about it, all those pain and tears will slowly recover. Don't be traumatised. I bet you can handle pregnant students, they themselves shd know how much their body can handle during yoga practices. Just like I did last time.

Heh, am wondering what kind of yoga teacher you'll be.

Labels