Saturday, November 08, 2008

Shopping madness

Orchard road was strangely quiet today. Even the Metro 20% storewide which usually attracts hoardes of women is ignored, and cashiers and counter attendants look bored. I remarked to my gf that maybe this is the true sign of an economy in recession and belt tightening measures. But lol and behold, turns out most of the Orchard road crowd has descended upon the Club 21 massive annual sale. My motivation to go all the way to the sale (I generally dislike mass bazaars like such in general because the crowds stress me out) is just to procure a lovely top which I had spied months ago, but rather ridiculously priced. What was the sale like? --> C.R.A.Z.Y.

Crazy because 30 mins queue to get into the building. It's the giant PIT building which our lovely country built for the F1 race. The crowd inside was still bearable. 2hrs for shopping; and the grand finale, a whopping 1.hrs in the cashiers queue. Unbelievable. I don't recall ever queuing more than 45 mins for anything. Ok ok so if it was a Tiffany sale I'd gladly maybe even queue overnight. The sale is crazy, but incredible. Most stuff going for less than $50, it's no wonder people are spending like they are at a wet market. My best buy - a pair of Stella McCartney raffia plantforms for $150 discounted from $1200. Frankly speaking, who would pay $1200 for a pair of shoes made from raffia string?????!!! Anyhow, I'm very pleased with my finds especially when I had to guess if the clothes would fit me.

Lessons learnt:
1. Bring cash. Whopping amounts of it (to avoid long credit card queues).
2. Bring water. Else be prepared to tahan all the way (not necessarily a bad thing, since don't have to go to loo).
3. Wearing tight fitting clothes definitely good idea. So easier to try clothings on.
4. Bring a friend. So we can take turns queuing and shopping.. saves time!!!

Singapore in recession? Maybe. But Shopaholics recession, definitely not.

Now I desperately need a leg massage. Anyone wanna buy me an Osim leg massager?

2 comments:

casiewbao said...

u wnt?
so many gd buys:-)

u hv to bring us along next time!

Anonymous said...

My reply is thus.. :

1. WHY would ANYONE want to spend $150 on raffia shoe.. let alone $1200!

2. the more cash you bring, the more you spend..

3. Many Women in Tight fitting clothes in a shopping frenzy will lead to many hum sup men going there just to perv.. hence more crowds, amking things worse!

4. Bring a friend?... you need to bring body guards!!

5. You bring water, then waht??!!! when you need to go loo, the queue would leave you in a puddle!!i rather go dry!!

6. shopping not for me!! sales are worse! i rather pay more and be less stressed!! who your pooor victim that allowed you to take her along??? you will not have too many friends left!! haha!

Labels