Tuesday, June 19, 2007

28

No not my age (though I wish). Perhaps it's Bis age in human years (if 1 dog year = 7 human years). Not the amount of money in my bank account (thank god!!!!! though I wouldn't mind a few more zeros added to the back). No, not the number of spartan men with their well built, rippled bodies packed into tiny loincloths. But rather, 28 is the number of cookbooks I have actually accumulated.

28.

28 hardcover cookbooks. Recipe books. Famed, reknowned authors. Most are quite excellent, some are so-so, and there are a few that has been purchased, but recipes never tried. Come to think of it, I haven't invested much time in the kitchen preparing meals, since I started MBA classes. Last I could recall really getting into flow of checking out the recipes, was when I was in between jobs and had a month long break. Pretty cool.

So now there is 28. Probably nearly a thousand recipes, and I've only tried and tested a fraction. Beautiful books, lovingly kept, but underused. Ah but what dilemma - as a yoga practitioner the diet is often plain, simple, organic if possible, and ultimately vegetarian. I don't think Jamie Oliver or Anthony Boudain is going to write a vegetarian cookbook anytime soon. Vegetarian chefs ain't that popular I guess. How many ways can you cook a broccoli?

A friend of mine commented, "since cows are vegetarians, so it would seem if we ate a cow, we could be considered vegetarians too right?". Whoa. Now that's really something to think about. The whole concept of vegetarian re-expolored.

No comments:

Labels