Saturday, August 04, 2007

No free lunches

Whoever said that there is no such thing as a free lunch, is probably right. But there are such things as free samples. Skincare samples. I needed a night cream, time to try a new brand I thought. What better place than to check out the spanking brightly lit Watsons at Takashimaya and their tremendous skin-friendly offerings. Lovely displays and stands. Stood around one of the counters and pondered awhile. Where are the skin consultants when you needed them? too busy chatting to pay attention to me. (on several other occasions I didn't need them they just seem to follow me around like ghouls). Alright. Move on to next bright counter. Browsed awhile. Stood in front of one consultant, but was blithely ignored as she was attending to another customer whose arse seemed stuck on the chair for a good 30 mins. After more pottering around several counters, and received no offers for help, I gave up and made my way to the Guardian's next door. Narrow displays, crowded corners. Poorly stacked. But hey, when I moved to the skincare corner, a happy "HELLO!" popped out mysteriously from a consultant I didn't see lurking around. She made me plenty of recommendations. And soon, 1 night cream became 1 night cream plus a few other items. See what good service can render?

The best part was, she opened this little drawer and started out dishing samples to me for free. It's like oh I'll give you this for free, and then she reaches in, and "oh and this too". Goes over to another drawer and..."why don't u take this too..", and "how about this one", then "take a few more of this ok". Pretty soon my arm was laden with loads of freebie. Sample sizes but good sizable sample sizes. Was she ever gonna stop I wonder? Of course she did, but I think in the end, both of us were pretty happy with each other. I never had so many freebies from a beauty purchase before, most consultants were always so stingy. I betcha that sourface at the Watsons counter wouldn't have given me this much freebies even if I would have bought the same stuff from her.

Moral of story, freebies are good. More freebies even better. For the best freebies, go look for the Vichy consultant at Guardian's Ngee Ann City.

Happy Moo.

No comments:

Labels